Turn a sweet potato into a springtime meal in minutes
Looking for a quick and budget friendly meal? Try this easy, healthy dish - ready in minutes!
Recipe adapted from Live Lighter. General healthy eating advice only.
For individual, expert nutrition or recipe advice, book an appointment with a dietitian at Access Health and Community. Call (03) 9810 3000 or visit www.accesshc.org.au
Quick Baked Sweet Potato
Cooking time: 12 minutes (10 minutes preparation time)
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 300g pre-cooked chicken breast, sliced or shredded
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Pepper – to taste
- Scrub skins on sweet potatoes.
- Use a fork to prick sweet potatoes at least 12 times each.
- Place sweet potatoes onto a plate under a microwave-safe cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes, turn over and cook a further 5 minutes until soft and hot in the centre.
- Remove from microwave once cooked. Place on a plate and cut potatoes in half lengthways with the skin side down.
- Sprinkle potato halves with cheese, then layer on chicken and tomatoes.
- Microwave for another 2 minutes if you prefer your filling to be warm.
- Top with torn basil leaves and black pepper before serving.
- When cooking one sweet potato, start with 3 minutes each side in the microwave.
- Top with other seasonal vegetables such as baby spinach leaves, capsicum, mushrooms or spring onions.
- To add extra fibre, add canned vegetables such as canned corn kernels or beans as toppings.
- Chilli flakes, dried herbs or mustard are alternative low-cost ways to add flavour.
- If you have time, you can bake the sweet potato in the oven until the skin is crunchy outside and the centre is soft inside.
- Don’t have a microwave? Try steaming the potato instead.