AccessHC can provide you with an appointment by a GP and some other health professionals via telehealth
Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm
AccessHC Hawthorn doctors are experts in general and family health. We offer:
- a full range of general practice medical services and can treat most non-hospital medical conditions
- medical care for your whole family from newborn babies to the elderly
- support you need to prevent illness, disease or injury
We are providing services by video and telephone where possible.
On this page…
Bulk Billing Doctors Hawthorn
We bulk bill a range of patients who are eligible under Medicare, including:
- children under the age of 16
- students under the age of 25
- Health Care Card holders
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Australians
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) approved clients
- homeless people
You don’t pay for your consultation if you are a bulk billing patient eligible under Medicare.
Please talk to your doctor if you are experiencing financial hardship and don’t meet the above criteria or if you have any other questions.
Hawthorn Doctor and GP services
Our Hawthorn doctors & GP’s offer a wide range of services, all in one location:
Services in detail
At our Hawthorn medical centre offer comprehensive primary medical care for parents and children across all ages, genders and diseases.
Our patients enjoy seeing the same doctors and nurses over multiple visits. They value the relationships they have with our team and the highest quality care and well-being they give their families.
Children’s health checks are an important of our services. They include monitoring development and normal milestones, immunisation and health promotion.
Healthy kids’ checks for 3-4 year olds can assess readiness for school and provide an opportunity for early screening for visual acuity, hearing, coordination as well as motor skills and other areas of development. Visit our bulk billing medical centre today.
We also offer:
- antenatal care and pregnancy
- 6-week old baby checks
- 4-year-old Healthy kids check
- asthma action plans
- childhood immunisations.
The general practitioners in Hawthorn provide the following services:
- women’s health
- men’s health
- care of older people
- chronic Disease Management Care Plans
- diet and exercise advice
- driving Licence assessments
- influenza vaccination clinics
- mental health care plans and stress management
- skin cancer screening
- skin checks and treatment for sunspots and skin cancers
- weight problems.
Our GPs can help with a range of occupational health services:
- WorkCover and occupational health
- driver medicals for commercial Vehicles (TAXI)
- corporate vaccination programs
- insurance reports
- pre-employment medicals
- legal reports.
Our doctors will assist you with travel vaccinations, up to date travel information, malaria prevention, education and awareness of the local culture or region to help prevent accidents and injuries.
Both amateur and professional athletes may require treatment by a doctor specialising in sports medicine in order to optimise performance. Sports medicine may include treatment and prevention of injuries, physical fitness, exercise as well as nutrition planning and rehabilitation.
- Minor operations
- ECGs & spirometry
- Wound care
- Liquid nitrogen freezing for warts & sun spots
Australian Clinical Labs is a leading provider of pathology services in Australia.
Australian Clinical Labs provides a number of pathology services from our Hawthorn Medical Clinic.
Pathology testing is used to assess various conditions. Our Hawthorn locations provide testing and act as collection centre too.
How to make an appointment
No appointment is needed for this service. Simply visit either our Hawthorn clinic and speak with a reception team.
Fees and payments
We bulk bill most pathology services for all Medicare card holders.
If we are doing a special test that requires us to charge a fee, the clinician will tell you before we carry out the test.
Our intake team will be able to provide further details.
Mon to Fri: 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
All repeat prescriptions or specialist referrals require an appointment with our doctor to monitor appropriate treatment and ensure regular ongoing assessment.
Our practice nurses assist with minor surgical procedures, illnesses or injuries.
Read more about nursing services at Access Health and Community clinics
We offer standard appointments (15 minutes) and long consultations (30 minutes)
Online booking system
Make a booking online.
Important information for new patients
- Arrive early – please arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment and report to the reception. Please complete a new patient registration form when you arrive to our Hawthorn medical centre.
- Cancellations – please call us on 03 9810 3000 to reschedule or cancel your appointment if you cannot come. Giving us 24 hours notice means we can offer the appointment to someone else who may need it.
- Find out information about disability access, parking and public transport.
- Use MyHealth Pad to prepare for your appointment and take notes during the appointment for later reference
- Lastly, always remember to bring your Medicare, Pension or Health Insurance Card to your appointment.
Our Hawthorn medical clinic is located on 378 Burwood Road, Hawthorn, VIC, 3122, Australia. We have on-street parking available.
- Glenferrie train station – 400m walk
- Auburn train station – 850m walk
- Route 16 tram – stop 73 Burwood Road/Glenferrie Road
Our reception is located on the ground floor. Please report to reception when you arrive and complete a new patient registration form when you arrive to our Hawthorn medical centre.
Sometimes we have to help patients with urgent medical needs before we can see you. We know you are waiting and will see you as soon as we can.
Any patient who is at risk of COVID-19 infection is eligible for a Medicare funded telephone or video appointment.
For more information about Telehealth please visit our Book an Appointment page.
If you are unable to attend a scheduled appointment, please contact us to cancel or change your appointment time. Please be mindful that all patients who miss their appointment are charged a missed appointment fee $37.60 (GST inclusive) which is not claimable through Medicare.
Ask our reception staff about other services we offer at our Hawthorn Clinic:
Alcohol and other drug services, including specialist youth and family services
- Mental health nursing
- Blood test/pathology
- Child and family
- Counselling, psychology and social work
- Diabetes education
- IDEAS (Integrated Diabetes Education and Assessment Service)
- Dietitian/nutrition support
- Health Promotion
- Needle and Syringe Program
- Occupational therapy
- Peer Support Groups
- Physiotherapy and exercise groups
- OAHKS (Osteoarthritis of Hip and Knee Service)
- Smoking cessation
- Speech pathology.
- RCH Eczema Clinic
- Volunteer Transport
If you are looking for more information to take care of your health, visit our Resources page. Here we provide information about some of the most common health topics.
If I don’t have a medicare card do I have to pay to see a doctor?
If you don’t have a Medicare card you will have to pay the amount on the day and claim from your private health fund or Medicare independently.
Can I get my results over the phone from a doctor or nurse?
You need to make a follow-up appointment with your doctor to get your results. W cannot give results over the phone.
Do I always have to go back to the same doctor?
For continuity of care, we strongly advise you to see a regular doctor but sometimes your doctor may not be available. You are welcome to see any doctor of your choice who is available on the day.
Can I obtain a Mental Health Treatment Plan, GP Management Plan or Team Care Arrangement from any doctor (even if I haven’t seen them before)?
No. There are strict Medicare guidelines for preparation of these care plans. Please discuss with your doctor, who will be happy to help.
Can I get a copy of my Medical Records for personal reasons?
Yes, you’ll need to complete and sign a release of information form at reception. Please allow a few days for the release of information.
There may be an administration fee for printing/photocopying your medical records. Please discuss with reception, who will be able to help.
If I normally see a doctor at one particular site can the doctor access my medical record if I have an appointment at another site?
Yes. The doctor will be able to access your medical records at Richmond and Hawthorn locations.
Do I need an appointment to see a doctor or can I just turn up to the practice on the day?
If you don’t have a Medicare card you will have to pay the amount on the day and claim from your private health fund independently.
Does Access Health and Community accept overseas student healthcare cards?
If you are an overseas student and hold a Medibank Private OSHC card, Access Health & Community can claim directly for you.
If you are an overseas student and have another Private Health Insurance policy, you will need to pay the account on the day and claim independently.
Do I have to pay for vaccines?
Some vaccines are Government funded and there is no fee. Some vaccines, for example, travel vaccines incur a fee. Please speak with a doctor who will be happy to discuss your options.