Flu shots for adults and kids
Flu vaccinations for adults and children are now available at our Richmond and Hawthorn medical practices.
Influenza, commonly known as the flu, is a highly infectious disease caused by the Influenza virus. Symptoms can be mild to severe. The most common symptoms include:
- high fever and chills
- cough, sore throat and stuffy nose
- muscle aches, joint pains, headache and tiredness
- nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
There two important types of Influenza virus – types A and B.
You can catch the flu at any time of year but there are more cases in winter.
Getting a flu vaccine every year can help to protect you and your family against influenza.
Who should get the flu vaccine?
The vaccine is prepared each year to match the strains predicted for the coming influenza season.
You will be protected about two weeks after receiving the vaccine. It lasts up to a year.
The government recommends that everyone over 6 months of age should receive a flu shot every year.
Remember, even healthy people can catch influenza.
Who can have a free flu vaccine?
The Free Flu Vaccine Program will continue from 01/07/2022 until 10/07/2022 after which the fee is $15.00.
The flu vaccine is free for:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over
- Adults aged 65 years and over
- Children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years old
- Pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy
- People aged 6 months or over who have medical conditions that mean they have a higher risk of getting serious illness. This includes cardiac disease, chronic respiratory conditions, chronic neurological conditions, immunocompromising conditions, diabetes and other metabolic disorders, renal disease, haematological disorders and children aged 6 months to 10 years on long-term aspirin therapy.
The vaccination is free if you belong to any of the categories listed above. Otherwise, the vaccine costs $15.
What will happen on the day of my appointment?
Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your appointment to complete a registration form if you haven’t been to our clinic before.
You will see one of our doctors for a consultation before receiving your flu vaccination. The consultation will be bulk-billed if you see the GP only for a flu vaccine.